I Tried Gratitude Journalling for 30 Days

 We'll look at:

We'll look at what gratitude journalling is and how you can start doing it today.

Then I'll share my journey and the changes I observed.

And finally, let's cover some tips that have enhanced my gratitude journalling.

 What is Gratitude Journalling?

Gratitude journalling is the regular recording of instances or blessings for which you have feelings of gratitude.

Maybe it's a kind act by someone, a personal achievement or something as simple as the sweet chirping of the birds outside.

 How I did it.

I've seen people do it with prompts or questions that serve as templates, but I wanted more freedom and simplicity at the same time.

So, I recorded just 3 things I was thankful for, once in the morning and again just before bed. 

It would usually be something I am grateful for at the top of my head in the morning, and special instances in the day in the evening.

For my format, I took inspiration from 'Be Great, Be Grateful: A Gratitude Journal for Positive Living', a do-it-yourself gratitude journal by PATTERNITY. You can check it out here: Gratitude Journal by PATTERNITY

You can really do it any way you want to, but there is loads of inspiration online to soak in if you're ever lost with it.

 My experience with Gratitude Journalling.

I had an indescribably strong feeling of satisfaction with my life. I felt I had everything I ever wanted.

I began appreciating the small things, such as the dull, gloomy sunlight during early mornings, birds chirping outside and the flourishing, lush growth of indoor plants.

I won't exaggerate the whole 'taking things for granted' cliché, but I would say that I noticed more of the unnoticed blessings with gratitude journalling.

I valued the gifts I had and people around me more.

 What you need to keep in mind.

 Regular reflections

It's necessary to reflect on your progress periodically so that you can identify the little tweaks that make can things better for you.

I did monthly reflections as it was fairly spaced enough to observe changes.

It can be as short as writing the three major effects you've experienced with X number of days maintaining a gratitude journal.

 Make it a habit

Like with all habits, gratitude journalling requires you to regularly check-in to see the best results. 

A habit takes 21 days of conscientious doing to consolidate.

The best way to make it stick is by integrating it into your daily routine. Let's say you'd spare time during your morning coffee and right before bed to jot down your most gratifying moments in the day.

 Feel the gratitude

Something I realized through some research was that merely writing what you're thankful for isn't enough.

You have to feel it in you - feel the gratitude. Otherwise you don't fulfill the real purpose of gratitude journalling at all.

The small things matter

As mentioned earlier, don't wait for some mammoth accomplishment; few unsophisticated unnoticeable gifts lie here and there too.

I think the importance of this idea is that in long periods of failure or mundaneness when nothing interests us, smaller everyday moments are more likely to bring us satisfaction.

Keep it simple

Don't go overboard with highlighters and colors. It's, again, really your choice, but I would advise against complications.

When you make things high-maintenance, they become more tiring to complete.

Though gratitude journalling can revel with some art, being loyal to only a blue-ink fountain-pen has saved me money and time.

Add a personal touch

I liked to journal some of my thoughts and emotions (and even weird dreams I had). It's quite therapeutic to let go of them and see them on paper.

Make it more of a diary that is inviting and welcoming. Enjoying the process helps immensely in wanting to keep the habit. It's been difficult for me to do that, but I'm finally getting back on track.

Comments